Ferguson Privacy & Security Policies
Last updated: November 18, 2022
The Website is a general audience website for use by adults age 18 or over, and is intended for use solely by individuals in the United States. The Website is not designed or intended for use by persons under the age of 18.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
Ferguson, on its own or through authorized service providers, contractors and third parties, may collect and use the following categories of personal information from and about users of the Website:
- Individual identifiers and information – such as information that You provide for the purpose of registering with the Website or creating an account (e.g., Your real name, email, address, telephone number, other contact information, username and password, mobile phone number);
- Commercial information – such as information We collect during Your online shopping sessions (e.g., items added to Your cart, online purchases, online product reviews, product preferences or specific interests, items not purchased, and any promotional information related to the session);
- Transaction information – such as information associated with transactions conducted over the Website, including method of payment, credit/debit card or bank account information, and shipping information for order fulfillment;
- Computer, internet and network activity information – such as information We obtain from Your use of the Website (e.g., Your server log information, queries or searches, browsing history, internet protocol address, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information);
- Other electronic information – such as information from communications with Us and other user-generated content submitted by You to Us through e-mail, chat, telephone, and social media channels; and
- Marketing and promotional information – such as information You provide for the purpose of enrolling or participating in any programs, promotions or contests offered by Ferguson.
Ferguson and its authorized service providers, contractors and third parties obtain these categories of personal information through Your use of the Website and from the following sources:
- the information You provide directly to Us or to our authorized service providers and contractors (e.g., payment processors, shipping services, etc.);
- the information from devices you use to access the Website; and
- the information that is automatically collected about You by Us and our authorized service providers and third parties as a result of Your use of Our Website, including digital tracking tools such as cookies and similar technology; and
- the information obtained by third parties (e.g., LinkedIn, Bing, MNTN (Steelhouse), Facebook, and Google) as a result of the use of Our Website and other websites.
Ferguson, on its own or through authorized service providers and third parties, may use Your personal information that You provide to Us or that is collected about You for various business or commercial purposes, including to:
- administer this Website and present the Website and its contents to You, as well as to facilitate and improve Your experience on the Website;
- process Your registration and manage Your online account;
- personalize the Website for You;
- enable Your access to use the Website and its services;
- provide You with products and conduct transactions (including purchases and returns);
- process payments;
- process, fulfill, and ship purchase requests, and complete returns and exchanges;
- send You statements and invoices;
- send You advertising, promotional and marketing communications, including direct mail and direct email, and process promotions, surveys, contests, giveaways, sweepstakes, and related prizes or incentives;
- provide You with product and service recommendations based upon your interests;
- contact You or communicate with You;
- address customer service issues You may have;
- protect against fraud and unauthorized transactions;
- create analytic reports; and
- perform internal systems diagnostics, analysis, monitoring, debugging, and troubleshooting.
In addition, Ferguson may disclose Your personal information to the extent that it is required to do so by law, in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and in order to establish, exercise, or defend its legal rights. Ferguson may also disclose Your personal information in connection with negotiations for or any actual sale, acquisition, or transfer all or a portion of Our business or assets.
Please note that if You voluntarily submit any personal information for posting on Our Website or any other website (including without limitation any social media website), the information may become publicly available and can be accessed and used by Us and by others. Therefore, You should use care before posting any personal information online.
Personal Information Provided to Other Parties Working With Us
We partner with authorized service providers, contractors and third parties as an essential part of Our business operations, which allows Us to make the Website available, offer products and services to You, process and deliver Your orders, and provide information and promotional material about products that may be of interest to You.
Ferguson does not sell or share your personal information in exchange for money.
A. SERVICE PROVIDERS AND CONTRACTORS:
Ferguson employs authorized service providers and contractors to assist with Website operations, online transactions, marketing, and analytics (such as for Website hosting, search engine optimization, customer relationship management, payment card processing services, advertising and marketing services, order fulfillment and delivery services, cloud storage services and other third-party technology services). Ferguson and these authorized service providers collect personal information and non-personal information, which may be provided to Ferguson or to these authorized service providers and contractors, including Your interests and online purchase behavior, what You have liked and clicked, and whether You have completed or abandoned a purchase. Ferguson may also provide Your personal information to its authorized service providers and contractors to facilitate processing, and fulfilling and delivering Your order.
B. THIRD PARTIES:
Ferguson shares Your personal information – (i.e., Individual identifiers and information, Commercial information, Transaction information, Computer, internet and network activity information, and Marketing and promotional information) - with certain authorized third parties that provide interest-based and other targeted advertising or marketing services to Ferguson. These business partners use this information to provide You advertisements that are tailored to Your individual interests, as described in more detail in the section "Interest-Based Advertising And Other Targeted Advertising".
Other Information Collected
Ferguson, on its own or through authorized service providers, contractors and third parties, may also collect and use other information from and about users of the Website that does not specifically identify the user individually. Without limitation, this may include:
- purchase interests and purchase history information;
- preferences information (including marketing and communication preferences);
- information from Your internet browser whenever You visit or use the Website (sometimes call “Log Data” or “Log Files”);
- device information and usage data;
- internet service provider;
- referring and exiting websites and pages;
- operating system;
- which pages You visit on Our Website; and
- the time and date of Your visit and use of Ferguson’s pages.
Sensitive Personal Information – Not Collected
We do not collect, nor do We request or require that You provide any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security number, driver’s license number, state identification card, passport number, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious, philosophical, or other beliefs, information related to sex life or sexual orientation, health data, biometric or genetic characteristics, criminal convictions and offenses, trade union membership, or specific geolocation), and You should not send Us and should not disclose to Us any sensitive personal information on or through the Website or otherwise.
Aggregating and Combining Information
At times, We may aggregate certain personal information and/or non-personal information in a manner that does not identify You to determine information about Our customers, including product trends, sales histories, and where Our customers are located.
We may also combine personal information with non-personal information. If We do so, We will treat such combined information as personal information.
Using Non-Personal Information
Because non-personal information does not identify You individually, We may collect, use, and disclose non-personal information for any lawful purpose in Our sole discretion.
SMS / Text Messaging
Ferguson may use SMS / TEXT MESSAGING to communicate with you, send order information, and provide promotional materials. MMS (multimedia message service) is used to send messages of product photos to and from the user. You must opt-in and provide a valid mobile phone number to activate this service, and after activating, You can opt-out at any time and discontinue the messaging service.
Ferguson does not charge for its SMS or MMS services. However, Your wireless service provider may apply package deductions and message / data rates to all SMS or MMS messages and rates differ from carrier to carrier. Please contact Your wireless service provider to inquire about the details specific to Your plan. Message frequency will vary by user.
If You need any further assistance, please contact Us at (888) 222-1785 or email email@example.com.
Cookies, Beacons, and Opting Out
Ferguson, its authorized service providers, and certain authorized third parties use digital tracking tools such as cookies and similar technology when You use the Website (e.g., cookies, web beacons and single-pixel GIF files). Cookies are small files that are transferred to Your device's hard drive through Your internet browser that enables the Website's or authorized service providers’ or third parties' systems to recognize Your browser and capture and remember certain information. This helps Us to improve Your access to Our Website, identify repeat visitors, help ensure the authenticity of registered users, target advertising, provide the mechanism for online shopping, and enable Website traffic monitoring.
Using cookies helps Us do a number of things to enhance Your experience as a customer or potential customer of Ferguson, including to:
- identify users and visitors to the Website, including new visitors and returning customers;
- remember and process the items in Your shopping cart;
- process and save Your preferences for future visits;
- ensure You do not need to login multiple times through user identification tracking;
- compile analytics, statistics and reports on Our Website and web traffic activity;
- track and target Your interests to enhance Your experience on Our Website, including searches and web traffic adjacent to activity on the Website;
- allow for integration with social media;
- offer products and advertising that may be aligned with Your interests; and
- provide other services related to the Website.
Push Notifications from Ferguson.com
New visitors to the Ferguson Website will receive a pop-up prompt asking if they would like to allow or block push notifications. If You all allow notifications, You have opted-in to promotional notifications. If You block notifications, You are opted out. If the pop-up prompt is closed out within a response, You will receive the prompt at the start of each subsequent session. If You wish to opt-out in the future, You can clear Your cookies to get the allow/block option again.
The Ferguson App also sends push notifications if You have opted-in to receive notifications on Your mobile device.
Interest-Based Advertising and Other Targeted Advertising
We collect data about Your activities on Our Website for use in providing tailored advertising to you while using Our Website as well as through e-mails, texts and other direct marketing channels that We utilize. To provide You with a consistent shopping experience, We may also associate various devices You utilize (e.g., smartphones, tablets, and desktop computers) by using the with other information We have about You, Your interaction with Our Website and Your transaction history.
We may share Your personal information about activities on Our Website with advertising networks or cooperatives administered by third parties. These ad networks use this information to provide You advertisements that are tailored to Your individual interests. You can opt-out of Us sharing Your personal information with these networks and cooperatives by completing an opt-out request available through "Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information".
We also have partnered with certain third parties, including social media platforms, that use their own digital tracking tools, such as cookies and pixels, to track Your online activities over time and across Our Website and other websites by collecting information through automated means. These third parties will provide You with ads based upon your interests, activities, and preferences. As a result, You may see certain ads for Ferguson on other websites based on prior activities on Our Website. You may be able to disable these digital tracking tools by changing the settings for cookies on the browser for each device You use to access the Website. In addition, You may be able to opt-out of their digital tracking tools by changing Your preferences on each social media platform.
These third parties may allow consumers to opt-out of receiving advertisements through the Digital Advertising Alliance - https://youradchoices.com/control - or the Network Advertising Initiative - https://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1.
If You receive promotional materials or newsletters from Us, You may unsubscribe from these communications at any time by following the instructions contained in the emails You receive. You may also change Your subscription status at any time by logging into Your account and editing Your information, or by contacting Us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or using the information provided below in the "Contacting Us" section. Even if You opt-out of receiving direct marketing messages, We may still contact You about a purchase or order or in connection with other customer service activities.
In addition, We may send You direct mail or catalogs containing offers for You. If You wish to stop receiving catalogs or direct mail, You may contact Us using the information provided below or send an email to email@example.com. Additionally, You can use the form that is provided on the back of every catalog.
Do Not Track Information
Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets You tell websites that You do not want to have Your online activities tracked. There is currently no uniform browser signal for this feature and no industry standard on how to respond to these signals. Therefore enabling/disabling the Do Not Track feature in Your browser does not ensure that all websites You visit will respond to the request.
Ferguson does not recognize or respond to Do Not Track signals at this time. Ferguson will reassess its approach to responding to Do Not Track signals once an industry standard is established.
Consumer’s Rights to Personal Information – California
If You are a resident of California, You have the following rights:
- Right to Know: The right to request information about the specific personal information collected about You (typically for the 12-month period preceding Your request);
- Right to Delete: The right to have Your personal information deleted (subject to certain exceptions);
- Right to Correct: The right to request correction of inaccurate personal information;
- Right to Know About Sale or Sharing: The right to request disclosure of the categories of Your personal Information sold/shared and the categories of third parties receiving that information;
- Right to Opt-out of Sale or Sharing: The right to direct that Your personal information not be sold to or shared with third parties for cross-context behavioral advertising; and
- Right to Non-Discrimination: The right not to be discriminated against because You exercised any of these rights.
To exercise any of these rights (other than non-discrimination), please complete and submit the Data Subject Access Request (DSARs) Form or call (833) 865-0355. You may also designate an authorized agent to complete a DSARs Form on Your behalf for the Right to Know, Right to Delete, and the Right to Opt-Out.
The DSARs Form requires You to complete several mandatory fields (name, email address, etc.), select the type of request being made, and indicate whether You have made a purchase from Ferguson (or an associated domain). If You indicate that a purchase has been made, the DSARs Form includes additional mandatory fields for "ZIP Code" and "Order #", which enables Us to verify Your identity and protect against fraudulent access to Your personal information.
Once You submit a completed DSARs form, Ferguson utilizes a two-factor identification process to verify that the person making the request is the consumer about whom We have collected personal information. The consumer is sent an email that requires clicking on a link to verify the email address and to access a portal and enter a one-time security access code. Please note that a DSARs Form is not processed until You have authenticated Your request by verifying Your email address on record and inputting the required security access code into the portal.
There may be certain circumstances when We may not completely fulfill Your request, as permitted under the applicable California statute and regulations. For example, in connection with a Request to Delete, We may need to retain certain information to complete a transaction, detect fraud, or comply with a legal obligation.
If you would like to opt-out of the sale or sharing of Your personal information by Ferguson with third parties, You can click on the link entitled Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. The processed opt-out preference will be implemented by Ferguson for the specific consumer account You have identified in the DSARs request.
Consumer’s Rights to Personal Information – Virginia
As a resident of Virginia, You have the following rights:
- Right to Know: The right to confirm whether or not a Website is processing Your personal data and to access such personal data;
- Right to Correct: The right to correct inaccuracies in Your personal data;
- Right to Delete: The right to have Your personal data deleted;
- Right to Access: The right to obtain a copy of Your personal data;
- Right to Opt-Out: The right to opt out of the processing of the personal data for purposes of (i) targeted advertising; (ii) the sale of personal data; or (iii) profiling.
To exercise any of these rights, please complete and submit the Data Subject Access Request (DSARs) Form or call (833) 865-0355.
Once You have properly submitted a completed DSARs Form requesting Ferguson to comply with Your rights as a consumer as described above, Ferguson will attempt to authenticate Your request and if authenticated, take action on the request and provide a response as required by applicable law. Be advised that a DSARs Form is not processed until Your request has been authenticated.
There may be certain circumstances when We may not completely fulfill Your request, as permitted under the applicable statute. For example, in connection with a Request to Delete, We may need to retain certain information to complete a transaction, detect fraud, or comply with a legal obligation.
If Ferguson chooses not to take action on Your request within the initial 45-day period, You may submit an appeal by completing and submitting [this form].
Intended Website Audience and Notice Regarding Children’s Privacy
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information from children under the age of 18, and We request that minors do not provide any personal information to Us through the Website. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child under 18 has provided Us with information without his or her consent, he or she should contact Us as set forth in the “Contacting Us” section below.
Visitors from Outside the United States – Cross-Border Transfer
The Website is hosted in the United States and is intended for use only by individuals in the United States who are 18 years or older. Purchases on this Website are shipped in the United States and, as a result, the information Ferguson collects is governed by applicable laws of the United States. If You are visiting the Website from outside the United States, Your information may be transferred to, stored and processed in the United States or other countries.
The data protection and other applicable laws of the Unites States may not be as comprehensive as those laws or regulations in other countries or may otherwise differ from the data protection or consumer protection laws in other countries.
The security of your personal information is very important to Us. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to Us, and that We collect, both during transmission and once We receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, We cannot guarantee the absolute security of the personal information provided by You or collected by Us through use of the Site.
Retention and Storage of Personal Information
We store all categories of the personal information that We collect – (i.e., Individual identifiers and information, Commercial information, Transaction information, Computer, internet and network activity information, and Marketing and promotional information) - for as long as you have an account with Us or the period of time necessary for the Our business purposes, or as required by or permitted by applicable law.
By Email: DataPrivacy@ferguson.com
By Toll free number: (833) 865-0355
To exercise any rights in Your personal information, please complete and submit the Data Subject Access Request (DSARs) Form, or call Us at (833) 865-0355.